Tuesday, April 29, 2008

FK.




Frida Kahlo
By far, my favorite artist is Frida Kahlo. She is an artist I am fasinated by her akward and often disturbing pieces of art.She painted using vibrant colors in a style that was influenced by indigenous cultures of Mexico as well as by European influences that include Realism, Symbolism, and Surrealism. Many of her works are self-portraits that express her own pain symbolically and her sexuality. After reading her biography and even visiting her house in Mexico City, i found it very admirable that after being severly hurt by a tragic bus accident, she still managed to paint and create beautiful work on her bed. She never gave up or stopped painting even when her marriage was failing and her health deteiorating. One of her art pieces connects with the idea of mother earth. It is my favorite painting, although i have no idea as to why or how i am so attracted to it. I love the colors and especially the fact that she respects and cherishes or earth. I admire Frida Kahlo because she is a strong, independant woman woh exposed beauty by any means and the meaning of life.







Ron Arad
How would you like a wavelike chair? Well, graphic designer Ron Arad would be able to design it for you. He is one big package,industrial designer, artist and architect. His work in which i was particularly intrigued by was his furniture he made. I loved his unique and complicated designs for what it seems as a heap of metal, is in fact a chair. Such detail is put into his work that it is indeed so beautiful you kinda dont want to sit on it. A silver metal chair is shaped like a curve and is long enough for one to lounge on. I ask myself would i rather buy it to appreciate as art or use as a really cool chair? I love interesting looking furniture and his type of design is right up my alley. The designs range from simple shapes to cut in circles as base. I was able to appreciate his work because i found it very amazing as to how one person can not only design such a piece, but be able to physically construct it. When i get my own place hopefully i can get some pretty cool stuff that can be or resemble his work.

No comments: